Egress
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

other ways to exist [saffron]

2 posters

Go down

other ways to exist [saffron] Empty other ways to exist [saffron]

Post by fenec lefevre Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 pm

As Fenec neared the familiar lands of Lord and Lady Wilwyn, he thanked the gods that Solaris was one of the closest territories to Egress. He had received a letter from Lady Wilwyn, who he'd been in intermittent communication with since the birth of Saffron, and she'd asked for a quite sudden visit. While there was nothing particularly concerning about the contents of the letter, the amount of notice that she'd given in requesting a visit was much shorter than Fenec was used to, which served somewhat as cause for alarm.

Regardless, he had made his way to their lands in Solaris on horseback as quickly as possible. While the Empress always told him that he should take a carriage and guards on these longer travels, he refused for a handful of reasons. The main one, of course, was the liability that came with bringing along other people -- Fenec wasn't about to risk Isadora finding out about his bastard child.

As he approached the Wilwyn property, the men guarding the gates opened them without question. Fenec had been well known as a close family friend for, well, as long as Saffron had been alive, and perhaps a few months longer. If anyone cared to do the math -- which it seemed like no one did -- it would be fairly obvious that Fenec was likely Saffron's father; nevertheless, they had spun the lie of Lady Wilwyn and Fenec becoming friends during her visit the capital all those years ago, and no one bothered to ask much more. To be fair, most people connected to the Wilwyn family were simply glad for a Wilwyn heir.

As Fenec handed his horse's reigns to the stable boy, he turned to see Lady Wilwyn approaching him from across the vast lawn. He bowed, which considering his status was always unnecessary, but it made her smile and blush, which was his intention.

"Lord Lefevre," she said with a sly smile, her cheeks still a bit rosy from his over-politeness. "What a pleasant surprise."

Fenec found that a bit bizarre, as she'd requested that he come visit, but he paid it little mind. "My lady," he said, taking her hand once she'd approached and kissing it kindly.

"Oh stop," she said with a giggle, pulling her hand away. Even after all these years, the two obviously had a playful way about them.

fenec lefevre

Back to top Go down

other ways to exist [saffron] Empty Re: other ways to exist [saffron]

Post by Saffron Wilwyn Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Saffron's goshawk Phoenix came down upon the rabbit like a lightning strike. As she approached on her gelding and dismounted, Phoenix obediently returned to Saffron's arm. "Good birdie," she said, stroking the hawk's head. She gave him a piece of pheasant meat as a reward.

She should head back, she thought. Fenec, their dear family friend, would be arriving at any moment if he hadn't already. She really should have returned sooner, but she hated coming back from hawking empty-handed.

She collected the rabbit, hopped back on her horse and rode back home, stopping to drop Phoenix off at the mews and her gelding at the stables. When she finally arrived back at the house, sure enough, there he was. Lord Fenec Lefevre was standing out on the grounds with her mother, who was laughing at something he'd said flirtatiously. Well, they certainly weren't subtle.

"I've brought dinner, Mother," she called, holding up the rabbit as she approached. She pretended to suddenly notice Fenec. "Oh, Lord Lefevre. How lovely to see you. I'd curtsy, but..." She gestured to her riding slacks and laughed. Her mother made a disapproving noise. Saffron had always eschewed typical manners when she knew she could get away with it, and it annoyed her mother to no end. "I hope you like rabbit stew."

Saffron Wilwyn

Back to top Go down

Post by fenec lefevre Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:20 am

Fenec turned to see Saffron as she arrived, hunted rabbit in hand. He always appreciated that her parents hadn't raised her in as much of a patriarchal family unit as he was used to seeing in Egress -- though he had little say in it either way, since she was raised as a Wilwyn regardless of his wishes.

I'd curtsy, but...

Fenec smiled and bowed instead, lower than he had even done for Lady Wilwyn. As he stood back up, he nodded approvingly of Saffron's dinner suggestion. "I'm sure the stew here will be even better than that of the palace," he said, winking to Saffron and sneaking a quick glance at her mother.

"It's always a pleasure to join the Wilwyns for a meal," he said as the three of them turned toward the main house. "It's quite rare that such fresh meals are caught by the young lady of a house." His remark was genuine; he had wanted to teach Alessi how to hunt for her own food for years, but hadn't had the ability to sway her mother just yet. It was a skill worth learning, regardless of royalty or status, he was sure -- but it surely didn't fit into the typical roles of the daughter of an empress.

fenec lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffron Wilwyn Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:48 pm

"Well, I can't take all the credit. My bird does most of the work," Saffron said.

The three of them headed inside. Saffron took a detour to hand the rabbit off to Misha, the house cook, and to wash and change for dinner. Despite her cool demeanor, she was feeling a bit antsy. She had to remind herself not to rush things. Her request of Fenec had to seem natural.

She made her way into the dining hall, where her mother and Fenec were still chatting in a too-friendly manner. In fact, Saffron was fairly certain they had spoken more words to each other than her mother and father had spoken in months. "I hope you weren't planning on visiting with the lord of the house as well," she said to Fenec innocently, as if she didn't know exactly who he had come to visit. "I'm afraid you've just missed my father. He left on a trip to Somerin just a few days ago."

Saffron Wilwyn

Back to top Go down

Post by fenec lefevre Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Fenec's attention went from Lady Wilwyn to Saffron as soon as she entered the dining room, his hands mindlessly unrolling and placing on his lap the fabric napkin that had been eloquently folded in front of him.

I'm afraid you've just missed my father. He left on a trip to Somerin just a few days ago.

"Ah, that lord of yours is quite the traveling man," he said. He couldn't help but wonder if the lord's absence was what had brought Fenec here today, as the purpose of this visit had yet to be confirmed. Regardless of the reason, he rarely turned down an opportunity to see the Wilwyn women, who gave him a glimpse of what family life might have been like for him, had he chosen a different path.

"Oh! I'd nearly forgotten," Fenec started as he reached into the pocket of his jacket. He pulled out a small dagger, housed in an elegant golden sheath with intricate details of birds and vines. The hilt matched the dagger's sheath, and the high-quality metal of the dagger itself, still hidden, was finely engraved as well. "For you, my lady." He extended his arm to pass the dagger, which was surely impressive by anyone's standards, to Saffron.

"I've been testing the skills of the palace blacksmith's new apprentice. I'm not sure it's possible to reach the quality of my late father's work -- the blacksmith himself has yet to achieve such a status -- but the boy is proving himself to be quite talented indeed."

fenec lefevre

Back to top Go down

Post by Saffron Wilwyn Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Saffron accepted the dagger, unsheathing it an inch or two to get a look at the gleaming steel blade. Despite the beautifully intricate metalwork, it appeared to be at least somewhat functional and not merely decorative. Pleased, she re-sheathed it. "Thank you, it's lovely."

Fenec wrote:"I've been testing the skills of the palace blacksmith's new apprentice. I'm not sure it's possible to reach the quality of my late father's work -- the blacksmith himself has yet to achieve such a status -- but the boy is proving himself to be quite talented indeed."

That piqued Saffron's interest. "Is he an ascar?" Her mother made a noise as if she were choking and turned to her, shocked. Saffron shrugged innocently. "I heard there was an ascar smithing for the royal family. One who could make blades that never dulled, and metal that never cooled."

"Saffron! I don't want to hear you comparing Lord Fenec's esteemed father's work with the unnatural abilities of one of those...things." Her mother shuddered and turned back to Fenec. "Forgive her, Fenec. Sometimes Saffron speaks without thinking."

If only you knew, Mother. What would you think of me?

Saffron dipped her head demurely, although she knew Fenec wouldn't be offended. Contrary to her mother's words, she never spoke without thinking. "My apologies. I was only curious."

Saffron Wilwyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down